HOMEMADE ORGANIC COCONUT MILK
4 cups hot filtered water
2 cups organic unsweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
optional: 2 teaspoons organic raw honey (does NOT make it sweet, just cuts out a little bitterness)
1. Pour the hot water and shredded coconut into a good blender (like Vitamix) and blend on high power until thick and creamy.
2. Pour the milk into a mesh produce bag, keeping it over a large bowl (make sure to ring out every last drop). You may have to do this in a few batches.
3. Once all of the milk has been filtered, discard the coconut pieces left in the bag.
4. Rinse out and dry your blender, then pour the coconut milk back in. Add the vanilla and honey (if using). Blend on high for several seconds.
5. Pour the coconut milk into a glass container. Once it has cooled, you can store it in the fridge.
Use within 3-4 days for maximum flavor and texture.
Note: It is normal for the coconut milk to separate when stored in the fridge since it does not contain preservatives. Just make sure to shake it up or stir it before using.